Friday, June 26, 2009

The Walking Lawyer

I have second thoughts about calling myself the fledgling lawyer. Oh, I know I am having slain the dragon just months ago but I just figured out today having walked for maybe miles under the heat of the sun that I may be just called the walking lawyer.

I have to tell you this but it dawned on me that I can’t divulge so much details about my transactions here in fairness to my clients not so much of the attorney-client privilege rule because I know no one could get me wrong here (or does anybody ever read this crap). With that in mind, I will tell you stories that happened today.

Oh well, I was caught up yet again in dealing with these bureaucrats (am I giving them dignity by throwing at them this infamous but classy name?) or I may just call them lowly staff. I am handling a land titles case and for this I have dug up available evidence to prove it in court. Anyway, to cut the long story short, I was passed on from one person from another like a ball used up in some kind of children’s play. In an office along Roxas Blvd., a staff in the records section told me, “can’t you read that sign on the front door? We are not accepting requests during Fridays?”, I answered: “Oh well, that’s the least thing I could notice when I am in the rush getting these important documents.” I flustered in burning glory. That darn guy. And so what can I do if the hard law (one of the realities you may want to puke about considering that this is only a memo which I later learned of to be patently misinterpreted) is so engraved in the tablet and has been stuck in the minds of birdbrains.

Anyway, because of my pure insistence I was able to facilitate my own request. Thankful to myself that I am a lawyer for this particular incident. It’s like this here in this very assuming government agency pretending to abide by their own rules to the point of defeating their own mandate and obligations to the public. So there, here it is, oh finally I had a glance of the original document. Here it is, here it is. . .only to be downed: “you have to secure this certification first there at Binondo.” Whoa! Don’t you realize that it really pays to deal with the government, in particular, to get a public document you just can’t get enough to hold in your bare hands, and to see in your own eyes?

I hope I win my case with this document which I will only be able to secure next week or I have to personally defend myself in court in the future for being a felon.

If there’s one thing I learned in my few weeks of practice. Fledgling lawyers like me needs to learn how to be patient because there will be many occasions that you will find yourself sitting in steel benches for hours. My advice: Get a good book to read!

1 comment:

  1. The walking lawyer, with a book in hand for when he arrives at his destination...to wait!

    ReplyDelete